本字幕由YYeTs人人影视翻译制作
更多教程中文版 请登陆 www.YYeTs
早上好  女士们先生们
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen
我是克雷格·奈特  这里是《聆听音乐
My name is Craig Wright and this is Listening to music
翻译:Edithsu  forseya  木易墨香  lpalfred  时间轴:Ghost 校对监制:chengry 傲骨临风  weiyintang001  forseya
她是由音乐系所开设的
the most basic course that
最基础的音乐课程
the Department of music has to offer
我们的目的是教你们如何聆听音乐
Its aim is to teach you how to listen to music
有人可能会说  稍等
Wait a minute, you say
这很荒谬
That's preposterous
我天天听音乐的
I listen to music all the time
我有iPod  我下载mp3文件
I've got, what, my iPod, I'm downloading mp3 files
而且不断更新
continually swapping files
我还在车里听音乐
I've got my car
我们怎么称呼那些装在汽车里的东西来着
What do we call those things in the automobile where you
是不是叫数字录音带
Is it a DAT tape that
你可以把你的iPod插进
you can take your iPod and plug it in to the
你车里的环绕音响
your--the stereo system in your car
我也有这个
I've got that
我在宿舍里用电脑听音乐
I listen to music in my dorm room off my computer
在书店里  或别的什么地方
in the bookstore, wherever
我打赌我听的音乐肯定比你多
张歆艺 身材走样
I bet I listen to a lot more music than you do
你这个老家伙
you old goat
你说的没错
And you're right
可能真是这样
You probably do
但是你听的是什么类型的音乐呢
But what kind of music are you listening to
可能是流行音乐  也不错
Well, probably pop music and that's fine
问题  很正常  流行音乐
that's okay, fair enough, pop music
但你真的听懂了
But are you getting the most out of
这种类型的音乐了吗
this particular experience
你听的过程中体会到深意了吗
Are you getting the most out of your listening experience
我敢说你可能并没有
I contend that perhaps you are not
因为你没有充分利用这段时间
that you are not maximizing the time
达到最佳的欣赏价值
using that time most profitably
要问我如何得知的吗
How do I know this
是什么使我认为你并没有尽你可能
What makes me think that you are not getting as much as
来认识你所听的音乐呢
you possibly can out of your music
从某种程度上来说 是我的经验之谈
Well, experience, to some degree
命起涟漪也是我上周刚做的一个实验的结论
but also an experiment that I did just last weekend
我有四个孩子
I have four children
最小的那个现在已经十七岁了
The last of the four has now turned seventeen
所以我上周末说  他一天到晚听着iPod
so I said last weekend-- he's always with the iPod
克里斯  在听什么呢
on--"Chris, what are you listening to
走开
Go away
打扰我了  那好吧
You're bothering me." Okay
别老管我
You're ruining my life again
那么
So
得了吧  让我听听这个
Well now, come on. Let me listen to this
让我听听这玩意儿
Let me listen to it
你在听什么
What are you listening to
我听了后  接着说  好吧
So I listened to it and I said, "All right
就是这里  你听听这个然后告诉我
Here, you listen to this and tell me
你听到了什么
what you're hearing."
他在录什么
And what did--what was he tracking?
他在录曲子  录曲子的节拍
He was tracking the text; he was tracking the beat of the piece.
我问他  这是什么曲风
I asked him, "Well, what's the mode of the piece?
节拍是什么
What's the meter of the piece?
低音起什么作用
What's the bass doing?
你能分辨出低音线吗
Can you follow the bass line there?
你能识别出这一段的几个和弦吗
Can you identify any chords in this particular piece?"
他哑口无言
Nothing. Zero.
而且他是一个有教养的孩子  他接受过
And this from a reasonably sophisticated kid who's had
十二年严格的大提琴课程训练
twelve years of serious cello lessons,
而我认为  这也引出了  一个结论
and that brings up, I suppose, a point:
那就是虽然我不是很了解你们的音乐
that although I don't know much about your music
但我认为 我可以通过教你们古典乐
I think I can teach you a great deal about your music
来让你们通晓自己心中的音乐
by using the paradigms of classical music.
因此我会在这儿跟你们谈到
So I'm going to tell you
很多古典音乐的知识
a lot about classical music in here:
Mozart  巴赫  贝多芬
Mozart, Bach, Beethoven.
这将是我们这门课的核心
It will be the locus of our course.
你们当中有多少听过古典音乐的
How many of you already listen to classical music?
举手  好  很好
Raise your hand. Okay. Great.
很多人  真是太棒了
A lot of you and that's wonderful.
我很好奇  我想知道  下面这位男士
I'd be interested to know, gentleman down here,
你是怎么听的
how do you do this?
用电脑播放碟片吗
Is it streaming off of your computer?
还是你下载mp3文件  然后保存它们
Are you downloading mp3 files and saving them?
告诉我  你怎么听的
How--Tell me. How do you do it?
我只是上YouTube听
I just go to YouTube.
你上YouTube
You go to YouTube.
好吧  很有意思
All right. Very interesting.
我怎么没想到呢
I should have known that but I didn't.
你上Youtube  然后在那儿听
You go to YouTube and you listen there.
大家都是怎么听音乐的
Anybody else do it a different way?
你说
Yes?
听广播
On the radio.
听广播  不错
On the radio. Okay.
这有点意思
That's interesting.
我们待会再谈这个问题
We'll come back to that point.
还有别的吗  其他人呢
Anything else, anybody?
你呢  我听父母
的CD或唱片
Yes? My parents' CDs or records.
好的
Okay.
你父母的CD和唱片
Your parents' CDs or records.
那挺不错的啊
That's wonderful.
They have sort of the old technology here
但是有些老唱片还是很经典的
but some of those old recordings might be very, very good.
来  我问你们个问题
Now here is a question for you.
生命的执着
我们为什么会听古典音乐
Why would we want to listen to classical music?
为什么  谁刚才回答了我的问题
Why do--why--who just answered a question for me,
那些举手的人呢
those folks who raised your hand?
还是这边的男士
What--gentleman here again.
今天上午你得牺牲一下了
I'll--you're my sacrificial lamb this morning.
你为什么喜欢听
Why do you like to listen and
为什么想要听 古典音乐呢
why would you want to listen to classical music?
它使我放松
It relaxes me.
好的
Okay.
有意思
Very interesting.
国家公共广播电台问过
National Public Radio asked
完全相同的问题
exactly this question
在一次一年前的民意调查中
in a survey a year or so ago and
他们得到了如下的回复
they got the following principal responses back.
人们为什么听古典音乐
Why do people listen to classical music?
第一  它帮助人们放松 舒缓压力
One, it helps them relax and relieve stress,
这可能是主要原因
so this is perhaps the principal reason.
第二  它帮助人们集中精力
Two, it helps us center the mind,
让听众能够 全神贯注
allowing the listener to concentrate.
第三  古典音乐提供了
Three, classical music provides
一个美好世界的意象
a vision of a better world,
一个绮丽而庄严的庇护所
a refuge of beauty, of majesty,
或许甚至  还有爱的慰藉
perhaps of even-- of love--
有时候  至少对于我来说
and sometimes, at least for me personally,
它象征着世上也许会有一些事物超脱尘世
it suggests that there might be something out there,
还有诸如上帝之类的
God or whatever,
比我们人类更伟大的存在
bigger than ourselves,
而且引发我们去思考  去思考客观世界
and it asks us to think sometimes, think about things.
我觉得这就是伟大艺术的价值
That's what I think these great fine arts do,
无与伦比的文学  诗歌  绘画  音乐
great literature, poetry, painting, music.
它们展示了人类所能及之事
They show what human beings can be,
人类精神所能承载之力
the capacity of the human spirit.
它们指引着我们  预示着
They suggest to us as indicated
可能有那么一些
maybe there is something,
超越我们自身的精神存在
a larger spirit out there than ourselves, and
它们指领我们思索
they get us to think.
它们促使我不断追寻
They get me to think frequently about
自己在这世界上存在的意义
what I'm doing on this earth.
你活在这世界上是为了什么呢
What are y
ou doing on this earth?
不用回答
Don't answer that.
我开这门课
What am I doing on this earth
到底是为了什么
with regard to this particular course?
我在这里究竟要实现什么价值
What am I trying to accomplish in here?
可能有两个目的
Well, maybe two things.
第一  陶冶你们的情操
One, change your personality.
我希望你们成为更有内涵的人
I want to make you a richer person,
心胸更加宽广的人  通过循循善诱
a broader person, by instilling you
让你们体会到古典音乐的博大精深
with an unending deep and abiding understanding of classical music,
这是一点
so that's part of this,
并不只在耶鲁大学
and not just here for Yale
还有你以后的人生道路
but for your life after Yale.
我憧憬着
I would hope that
十年  二十年  三十年后
how you lead your life ten years from now,
你们会怎样经营自己的生活
twenty years from now, thirty years from now,
你们的生活方式
would have been significantly
会怎样被这门课深深影响
influenced by this particular experience in this course.
第二  如果我的教学目的达到了
And secondly, if I'm successful in my teaching
我就会实现第二个目标
I will accomplish this second aim here.
我会传递给你们对古典音乐的热爱
I will impart to you a love of classical music.
你们  从耶鲁毕业以后
You, through, later on after Yale,
你们去听音乐会  购买流行风格的
your attendance at concerts, buying of one fashion
或别的风格的唱片  下载mp3
or another, downloading mp3 files,
iTunes  或别的什么
iTunes or whatever it happens to be,
或许会成为你们当地交响乐团的一员
maybe being members of your local symphony board,
或者歌剧剧团之类的
opera company, something like that,
或许教你们的孩子学习音乐
maybe giving music lessons to your children,
今后你们会成为古典音乐的给养者
you will become the purveyors of classical music thereafter.
你们  未来一代的知识分子们
You, the intelligentsia of the next generation,
会成为这一西方文化中
will be those that preserve
灿烂瑰宝的保护者
this great treasure of Western culture and
它确实是西方文化中的灿烂瑰宝
it is a great treasure of Western culture.
好了  我们该怎样做呢
Okay. How are we going to do all of this?
我们怎样才能在我们的日程之内
How are we going to accomplish these two things
完成这两件事呢
on our list of agenda here?
这门课是什么结构呢
What are the mechanics of the course?
你们都拿到教学大纲了吗
Did you all get a syllabus?
春天在哪里儿歌每个人是不是都拿到了教学大纲
Everybody's got a syllabus?
开始的三或四周  我们会逐个介绍
The first three or four weeks or so we'll be following the
音乐中的元素  节奏  旋律  和声
elements of music: rhythm, melody and harmony--
然后有
一个考试
and then a test.
接下来我们要处理一个有争议的问题
Next we will deal with what's the--arguably--
音乐作品中的最重要的部分是什么
the single most important thing when we listen to any piece of music
那就是曲式
and that is its musical form.
问你们一个问题
Here is a question for you.
那天在我准备今天这节课时
I was thinking about this the other day
我在想
as I was preparing the lecture for today.
流行音乐中最普遍使用的曲式是什么
What's the most common type of musical form in pop music?
当你听流行音乐时
When you listen to pop music
你有没有想过音乐的曲式
do you ever think about the form of the music?
你们中谁能说出流行音乐中的曲式
Can anybody name a form of pop music,
任何一种
any one form?
是不是主歌和副歌呢
Well, maybe verse and chorus?
思考一下
Think about that.
这里引出了很多东西  我们回头再说
That shows up in a lot of stuff and we'll come back to that.
我们会谈到主歌和副歌
你是我最想亲吻的女人
We'll talk about verse and chorus
等我们遇到那种曲式的类型再说
when we get to the issue of form.
课程尾声时
And then toward the end of the course
我们会转向曲风的问题
we will turn to the question of musical style.
流行音乐是如何区别于古典音乐的
How does a piece of pop music differ from a piece of classical music?
我们可能会通过直觉分辨
We sort of all know this intuitively
但是我们能不能清晰地道出原因呢
but can we articulate why?
音乐风格的具体差异
This particular difference about musical style
这个问题前些天才跃进我脑海
was driven home to me the other day.
那是在上周五
It was last Friday.
我走在校园里  也许你也看到了
I was walking across the campus--maybe you saw this too,
在榆树路和学院路的一角
corner of Elm and College.
那儿有一个大平板卡车
There was a large flatbed truck out there and
有一人在车上
there were these people on this truck
正试图向你推销音响
getting you-- trying to sell you audio equipment,
他们还有个巨大的横幅
and they had a big banner up there.
上面写着"律动你的房间"
It said "Pump Up Your Room."
咱们结婚吧 邓佳佳
怎么样
Okay?
然后还鼓动你去"律动你的房间"
So then to encourage you to "Pump up your room"
他们还放着音乐
they had music playing and
这就是他们在那辆卡车上播放的音乐类型
this is the kind of music that they had on that flatbed truck.
可以了
Okay.
从某种程度上我觉得我真的被律动了
I'm feeling very pumped up at that particular point and
然后我的手机响了
my cell phone rings.
这是真的
Okay. My--This is true.
我的手机响了  因为现在每个人都可以
My cell phone rings and because one has the capacity nowadays to
选择你自己的铃声  对吧
select your own ring tone--right?
我没选乱